Fertilizer by any other name would smell as sweet (was Manure shipped by rail)

Nolan Hinshaw

On Sep 13, 2021, at 05:11, Robert G P <bobgp5109@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello group,
[in re: rail shipment of "steersch", as a family friend called it]

I'm more familiar with the shipment of sugar beet beet pulp to feedlot, whereat the combined aromas of the two organic waste products would mingle in strange and wondrous ways. The operations which I witnessed as a child were short-haul, from a local sugar mill to nearby feedlots, and no more recently than the early 1950s.

[Woodland, CA, Spreckels, where Dad was a foreman, to no farther than North Sacramento]
--
Artie the Hinged Jaw
Retired AFU Game Warden