Re: resin model kits - canopy glue

Tim O'Connor

I just repaired a brass model (loose freight car bolster) with canopy glue. In the past I have
used epoxy for this kind of thing (epoxy is definitely safe below freezing and even safe when
the brass model's paint is 'baked' at 150 degrees), so this is a new test. I applied a small amount
of canopy glue with a toothpick and clamped the parts together, and it's a rock solid joint now.
Invisible too.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/14/2021 3:02 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Ray Hutchison wrote:

The bottle of canopy glue does say to protect from freezing.  My layout will be in unheated garage space, and it does get cold in Green Bay.  So... if it does get to freezing, does the model simply pop apart?  At what temperature?  And is Gorilla the best alternative if not canopy glue?
I am sure the notation on the glue bottle refers to the glue in that liquid form. It certainly does not refer to the glue when polymerized and set as an adhesive. I have had some challenging material combinations (etched metal grilles on plastic F-unit locomotives), glued with canopy glue, exposed to freezing temperatures with no problems.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Sterling, Massachusetts