From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2021 2:25 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] North Western Refrigerator Line color

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 04:19 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
These cars were originally built in 1940 for North Western Refrigerator Line, series 6800-6899. As noted in RP Cyc vol. 4, page 66, unlike the previous grey sides for NWX, these cars had "yellow-orange" sides. Might any of you have a suggestion for a paint match?
Bruce,
NWX 6804, one of the cars shown on p.66 is lettered for lease to Oscar Mayer. The other, 6858 is not marked for a lessee, but neither does it have the usual NorthWestern "ball and bar" insignia. The 68xx series were RSM meat reefers and likely all leased to meatpackers.  It's a reasonable conjecture that a lease is the reason for the non-standard color.
Reefer yellow with a drop of orange seems about right  for 1950s color photos of Oscar Mayer reefers and the various models of them produced over the years. I'd go with that in the absence of direct evidence.
Hope that's some help.
Jack Mullen