From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...>
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 3:02 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] North Western Refrigerator Line color

On Sep 19, 2021, at 2:24 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Nice, but alas, none of these cars represent the scheme I am asking about. The car that I am modeling was built for NWX in 1940 and ultimately transferred to NADX circa 1950 and then leased to Hormel. While the Hormel scheme is great for everyone who modeled the SnT model as intended, circa mid-1950s, it won't work for me, and although both companies start with NORTH, I'm pretty sure NADX orange is not an indicator of the color of the NWX cars as built. And unfortunately, while most NWX cars were initially painted with grey sides, and post WWII a yellow and green scheme was adopted, neither of those scheme is relevant either. The AC&F built NWX 6800 series was a bit of an odd-ball, having solid yellow-orange sides. Now, one might reasonably speculate that the yellow might be the same as that on the yellow and green car, but I am looking for something more factual than speculation 😉

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Bruce, Tim, and others interested,

As you probably already know, ACF lot 2044 was a quantity of 100 - 40’ RSM wood reefers NWX 6800-6899 built at the Chicago plant ca. 7-40.

The ACF bill of materials denote “Yellow" for the sides; Mineral Red - rectangle under the door, ends, roof; black - bottom of side sills, steel hardware on the sides, underframe, trucks, side stencils; white - end stencils.

A paint sample of the “yellow” sides attached to the back-inside cover of this document, available for review at the Barriger National Railroad Library, is a yellow-orange shade. It's a virtual match to that used by InterMountain on the SFRD steel rebuild reefers originally offered by Long’s Drug Store.

The National Museum of Transportation has in their ACF drawing collection a number of applicable lot 2044 drawings to include a general arrangement, brake arrangement, and stencils.

If interested in receiving a list of available drawings, contact me OFF LIST at hawk0621@.... An order would need to be placed with the library archivist Teresa Militello at the NMOT.

Regards,

Ed Hawkins