Choosing an empty car for loading

Robert G P

Hello group,

I was doing some "fantasy manifest" where I makeup list of freight trains and imagine each car/load and this question occurred to me:

At an origin point such as a busy yard where lots of empties are located, who decides which car is used for what? Of course we all know that rules allow an empty Santa Fe boxcar in Cincinnati Oh to be loaded with cargo billed west as that is the direction of the car's home road but who decides on this? Could someone be written up or such for sending an empty Maine Central boxcar west when it should've been routed back north? Or using a large 50ft double door boxcar for a load where an old 40 ton would've been more than enough?

I'd appreciate anyone's take on this.

-Bob