Re: Interesting three dome tank car St Louis 23rd St yard

Steve and Barb Hile

I was not unusual for GATX and UTLX to repurpose single compartment tank cars into two or three compartments by putting in extra heads to separate compartments.  You can see the rivet lines for two internal heads, one just beyond the first small dome and on just shy of the large center dome.  The other end would be similar.

If I read the car number as GATX 1331, we see these values in the 1955 GATX section of the tank car tariff (thanks to Ian Cranstone)

So, this was, probably, originally, a 10,000 gallon tank with a 432 gallon center dome.  After the remodeling, it had 3 approximately 2700 gallon compartments, two of which have 125 gallon domes.  This is probably a good match for the photo.

Extra credit:  At least the near compartment has internal heating coils, as evidenced by the two pipes coming through the head near the running board.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 11:47 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Interesting three dome tank car St Louis 23rd St yard

I’m finishing up a book for the Missouri Pacific Historical Society based on photos from the Joe Collias collection the society bought in September 2018.  This morning I was looking through some 35mm shots that Wayne Leeman took while riding a freight between Jefferson City and St Louis in 1940.  I enlarged a shot he took of the St Louis yards and this odd three dome tank car appeared with two small domes and a large one in the middle section. 
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.