Re: Interesting three dome tank car St Louis 23rd St yard

Steve and Barb Hile

I was not unusual for GATX and UTLX to repurpose single compartment tank cars into two or three compartments by putting in extra heads to separate compartments.  You can see the rivet lines for two internal heads, one just beyond the first small dome and on just shy of the large center dome.  The other end would be similar.

If I read the car number as GATX 1331, we see these values in the 1955 GATX section of the tank car tariff (thanks to Ian Cranstone)

So, this was, probably, originally, a 10,000 gallon tank with a 432 gallon center dome.  After the remodeling, it had 3 approximately 2700 gallon compartments, two of which have 125 gallon domes.  This is probably a good match for the photo.

Extra credit:  At least the near compartment has internal heating coils, as evidenced by the two pipes coming through the head near the running board.

Steve Hile