Re: Interesting three dome tank car St Louis 23rd St yard

Tim O'Connor

Tony

That's absurd. If domes had no purpose, they would not be there. They certainly do matter.

Tim

On 9/21/2021 2:54 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Tim O'Connor wrote:

I disagree Tony. A 3 dome car USUALLY has 3 compartments, but a 3 compartment tank car does not
necessarily have 3 domes. And construction of no-dome cars began well before the end of the STMFC era.

Not sure I get your point. If we are interested in what freight cars DO, then the compartments matter, and the domes don’t. If you are just a car-spotter or collector of train models, I guess the number of domes would be the visual marker you would want.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts