Re: SLRX 25034

Bob Chaparro

Bill Keene commented about SRLX 25034.

“The car is really silver. The shade seen in the photo (an Ektachrome slide) is actually the car as it was received when donated to the Kansas City Railroad Museum. It is rather dirty. It was later wished off to reveal the silver paint. As the car was clean and dry it was used to store the higher valued items that the museum did not have the space to display.

I believe the car still had the cooling equipment in place. The fuel tanks were almost full when the museum received the car.

The KCRM had a number of reefers. The gift shop was installed into one of them—WCLX 2711, a Wilson meat reefer. Others provided display space and general storage space—URTX 26679 was one put to this use. I had hoped to get all of the reefers in line on a single track in build order and tell the story of each but this never became a reality.

I was most familiar with the WCLX 2711 as I was managing the Gift Shop. After cleaning the car out it made a grand space. Left the meat rails in place. I may have a picture or two of this car including the interior. The car received a good deal of TLC. It was washed and waxed—good old Turtle Wax—twice a year. I was the target of a good deal of ribbing about waxing a freight car.”

As to the Kansas City Railroad Museum, don’t go to Kansas City expecting to see these cars. I found this explanation on the ‘net:

“The Kansas City Railroad Museum was a museum located in Kansas City, Missouri. It was operated by the Smoky Hill Railway and Historical Society. Founded in 1964, the museum was initially located at Troug-Nichols siding in Lenexa, Kansas followed by the "house track" in downtown Lenexa, Kansas until 1973. Expansion forced them to move north of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, at 226 West 3rd Street to the Kansas City Southern "old team track" in the River Quay area. They were forced to move to Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base and five other locations in October 1980. They moved again to Belton, Missouri, about 1995 where they started operations with reporting marks SHRX. Later, they changed the name to Belton, Grandview and Kansas City Railroad.

As of February 1987, the museum roster included 3 steam locomotives, 8 diesel locomotives, 1 gas turbine-electric locomotive, 1 trolley car, 9 freight cars, 4 cabooses, 1 rotary snowplow, 6 special service cars, and 21 passenger cars. Eleven were privately owned.”

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup