Re: Milwaukee USRA SS (faded) boxcar color question

steve_wintner

Fading should be somewhat uneven, seems to me.the plastic models community has widely adopted the idea of pre-shading, following with an overall coat. That can of course be followed with various washes & oversprays.

By pre-shading, i mean some areas are light (e g. Grey primer) and overs sprayed with darker or lighter shades. (E.g. the roof would be lighter, under the eaves & along the Z braces darker). This leads to a slight but visible variation in the overall color, which can then be followed with further efforts.

I've not tried myself, but I've seen enough to be offering the suggestion Charlie.

Steve