Re: Westerfield Milwaukee USRA SS boxcar off the bench

Tim O'Connor

I think armor modelers call that style of paint deterioration as "chipping". They apply an undercoat
base color and then dab either water-soluble glue (cheap hair spray is popular) or commercial fluids
from model paint vendors (also water soluble) and then overcoat all of that with a top color. Then the
water soluble MASK is removed leaving patches of the base coat visible. There are lots of videos on
Youtube that are very instructive. Of course model railroaders use the techniques as well. Multiple
layers can be done this way.

Sometimes modelers use table salt (coarse or fine), or rubber cement.  Same idea, they are used as
a mask to protect the base color.

Tim O'Connor

On 9/25/2021 10:07 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:

That looks fabulous, Charlie! I like the effect on the individual sheathing boards. I frequently see similar failures on prototype photos.

The roof work is exemplary. I’ve got a few boxcars inching towards the paint booth so I’ll be trying new methods on the roof weathering.

Thanks for sharing!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Sterling, Massachusetts