Roundhouse 50' SS DD

Andy Carlson

Actually, my decision to start work on this car had nothing to do for improving the MDC WP 50'car; as the MDC car wasn't released until I had finished the work on my  own resin 50' WP car.  I am a decades-long advocate for finer (read as more realistic) wood siding replications.

I hope to have finished results from a long-stalled double wood sheath resin box car. I experimented with a technique which makes for a better appearing look which is meeting expectations beyond my initial hopes. It is of a box car which I think several were brought over to Hawaii for the war effort. I will take photos.

As modelers, we have always felt happy with the best available model until a better one comes along. All of the earlier Sunshine, Westerfield and F&C single sheathed cars had deep and wide groves which made, in my opinion, horrible car sides but many bought them with gleeful pride. Then the better scribed techniques came out in various attempts to mitigate unrealistic car sides with differing results. Richard Hendricksen said it well when he stated that the "Good Old Days of modeling is today". The pure joy I felt upon my viewing of the then new Kadee PS-1 box cars prompted me to state that these box cars were the best HO freight cars to that point. And things are continuing to get better!
-Andy

Andy has always been critical  of the deep board separations  This prompted him to do the castings.

Bill Pardie

Has anyone found a good technique for filling in the overly thick "board" grooves ? Between that and carving off grabs, I've avoided this and many other plastic cars...

I've wondered if Mr. Hobby Surfacer would do the trick but have too many other tasks on the list ...

Steve
_._,_._,_