From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of ed_mines via groups.io <ed_mines@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 6:05:06 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] center punch for small (>0.015in/0.4mm) holes

Can anyone suggest a needle to use as a center punch/awl to dimple plastic before drilling so drills don't drift?
 I've tried using the smallest sewing needle chucked in a pin vice. It gets too large in diameter too quickly.
What I want is a small diameter, hard metal shaft like an old fashioned phonograph needle. Anyone ever try this or know where I can get just one phonograph needle (Ebay sells 100/$10). Anyone have any other suggestions?
Years ago I used one of the needles on a tiny bow compass. Sadly I lost that tool. Anyone know where I can buy those needles separately without having to place a big order?
Speaking of that compass/divider it had 1-1/2 in legs and the thumb screw was to one side, not in between the legs. I bought it in an art supply store 30 years ago. Can anyone lead me to something similar?