Re: Defect Card Holders

Tim O'Connor

And in many cases, the "lower left corner" defect card holder was just a very small tack board. I think
the tube style ended up being the most popular (i.e. cheapest) and the cards (written on stiff paper) when
rolled up and stuck in the tube stayed reasonably clean, dry and secure.

Tim O'Connor

On 10/6/2021 11:32 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:
Scott,
For 40’ steel box cars, starting in the mid-to-late 1930s Defect Card Holders of the various steel specialty types (Apex, Motor Wheel T-Z, Cheeper, Real, and a few others less common) were most-often located on the right side of the car to either the bolster to side sill connection (i.e., “bolster tab”) or to the left of the door on the side sill door reinforcement between the crossbearer and crosstie.

For 50’ box & auto cars the positioning was typically similar but with a wider range of locations for door reinforcements deeper and/or continuously longer.

However, there were exceptions in which the Defect Card Holder was attached to the left side of the car or a location unable to be easily detected on either side of the car, perhaps mounted “out of view” to the back side of the door reinforcement.

Other types of cars such as open and covered hoppers often had the Defect Card Holder attached to the lower left corner of the slope sheet support just above the “B” end bolster.

My question to you is “what are you using for the Defect Card Holder?”, as each one had its own distinctive shape.

Previous to the steel specialty makes, defect cards were attached to a small piece of wood or to the side itself if made of wood.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 1:55:28 AM CDT, Scott H. Haycock <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Folks,

In a modeling project I'm working on, I've noticed in my reference photos that all of the defect card holders are located on the bolster tab, on the right side, looking at the 'B' end.

My question is, was this a standard location, or did it vary by carbuilder, or railroad, etc.

Thanks!

Scott Haycock

Sterling, Massachusetts