Re: more glue questions/Barge cement

Tim O'Connor

regardless of carrier (water or other solvent) what makes contact cement work is that the
adhesive remains after the carrier has evaporated. Todd has not had problems because the
cement doesn't attack or absorb into urethane resin... but that does not mean it has set up
permanently or well. But since it's just for temporary use and CA is applied afterwards, it
hasn't lead to any failures. I'm the opposite - I use CA for temporary bonds, and then apply
2-part epoxy or other flexible permanent adhesive (canopy glue, or silicone caulk)

Tim O'Connor

On 10/9/2021 5:58 PM, Scott H. Haycock wrote:
Most contact adhesives are solvent-based. I wouldn't use them on plastic models. You can buy water-based contact adhesives in cans, but I've not seen any in tubes, like Barge Cement.

Scott Haycock
ent

On 10/09/2021 3:53 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

Hi Tim,

Hmmm.  I appreciate your warning, but I have not had any problems with this.  Perhaps I've been lucky.  I do use quite small amounts of contact cement, usually when gluing roofs to body sides and ends.  Just enough contact cement to hold the roof on and in place until I can get the CA wicked into the seams.

Todd Sullivan.

Sterling, Massachusetts