Re: End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Nelson Moyer

The chain is attached to a U-bolt casting with eyes on both ends that is in turn bolted to the square shaft. I see that on CB&Q single sheathed boxcars. That’s too small to model in HO scale, so I insert the brake staff through the last link in the brake chain. I’ve seen modelers use a wire ring around the brake shaft with the chain attached to the ring.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:29 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Interestingly, it appears that the brake chain attaches to the shaft with some sort of yoke (half of a turnbuckle for extreme modelers! :>) )

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:38 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Nelson,

I've tried to use the A-Line sill steps but had difficulty drilling the brake staff hole. I find the thinner etched metal fret material easier to drill, plus it's a bit wider than the sill steps. Here's an end view of the B&O M-26b boxcars I recently wrapped up. I used the leftover fret material for the brake staff support on both models. Click on the image for a slightly larger view.

Here's a three-quarter view before paint application.

BTW, attached is an end view of NP 11348 for your archives and to follow closer to the topic. This came from the AC&F collection on the Barriger Library Flickr site.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 10/10/2021 5:34 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

A-Line sill steps are much easier to bend and shape after being annealed. Hold them in a flame until they glow red, then cool and bend away. I use an alcohol lamp, but a butane lighter or candle works.

Nelson Moyer

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.