Re: End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

Steve and Barb Hile

If you zoom in on the NP boxcar end that Eric posted, it appears that the shaft is square from the lever end down to near the lowest ladder rung, where it seems to transition to a round rod that threads into the short segment of pipe that is attached via whatever yoke shape to the brake chain.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nelson Moyer
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 1:33 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] End View for Rapido NP Boxcar

The chain is attached to a U-bolt casting with eyes on both ends that is in turn bolted to the square shaft. I see that on CB&Q single sheathed boxcars. That’s too small to model in HO scale, so I insert the brake staff through the last link in the brake chain. I’ve seen modelers use a wire ring around the brake shaft with the chain attached to the ring.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:29 PM

Interestingly, it appears that the brake chain attaches to the shaft with some sort of yoke (half of a turnbuckle for extreme modelers! :>) )

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:38 AM

Nelson,

I've tried to use the A-Line sill steps but had difficulty drilling the brake staff hole. I find the thinner etched metal fret material easier to drill, plus it's a bit wider than the sill steps. Here's an end view of the B&O M-26b boxcars I recently wrapped up. I used the leftover fret material for the brake staff support on both models. Click on the image for a slightly larger view.

Here's a three-quarter view before paint application.

BTW, attached is an end view of NP 11348 for your archives and to follow closer to the topic. This came from the AC&F collection on the Barriger Library Flickr site.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 10/10/2021 5:34 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

A-Line sill steps are much easier to bend and shape after being annealed. Hold them in a flame until they glow red, then cool and bend away. I use an alcohol lamp, but a butane lighter or candle works.

Nelson Moyer

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.