Re: what type of car is this?

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

I Just checked my Milw car diagram book from 1958, that I have reprinted and offer for sale.  These are "Chip Cars",  Wood chips numbered 2730000 to 273260. The first part of the group was rebuilt in Tacoma in 1952 and more cars were rebuilt in 1956.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Saturday, October 16, 2021, 05:26:52 PM CDT, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

Most likely they are wood-chip cars, often called “Hog Fuel” cars. Usually they are rebuilt boxcars. The only thing unusual about them is the roof with hatches ... usually these are just left open-topped. They probably have no bottom-dump hatches, they dump out of low-mounted side doors (plainly seen in these photos).

“Hog Fuel” consists of coarse wood waste … mostly much larger chunks than sawdust. The name comes from the big wood-chipper that most sawmills used to break up the left-over slash unfit for lumber … the chipper was called a “Hog”. The “Hog Fuel” could also contain small blocks … cut-offs from timbers cut to standard lengths. A common use for such material was fuel for the MANY "donkey” engines used in the lumber woods, as well as small boilers on most any steam engines (NOT necessarily steam locomotives).

Dan Mitchell

On Oct 16, 2021, at 2:17 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Anyone have any thoughts on these cars? As in , what type of car is this?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund