Re: Late 40's to mid 50's military rail movements

Dave Owens

Bruce Smith is spot on about USAX (later DODX six-axle flat cars). They were manufactured in 1953 to handle the Patton family of tanks, which were considerably heavier than their predecessors.

Prior to that, general service railroad flats would have been used to transport tanks and other vehicles. Gondolas were also used if a vehicle would fit in the gon.

There were DF boxcars owned by the Navy that arrived in the 1950s for hauling munitions.

Most military freight cars from World War I through World War II were tank cars for hauling fuel and other chemicals.

Dave Owens
West Hartford, Connecticut

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM Jeffrey White <jrwhite@...> wrote:

The Army bought 6300 M59 APCs between 1954 and 1959, they would appear in our time frame.  The only model of them I am aware of is a 3d printed one at $18.00 each IIRC.

One of my modeling goals is to model the movement of an Armor Battalion. I've been buying up M47s, trucks and Roco flats for several years as it's a pretty expensive proposition.  All of the Roco flats need to be repainted OD and relettered with the Mt Vernon decals.

Jeff White

Alma IL   (US Army Infantry Dec 1974-Nov 2003)

On 10/17/2021 3:01 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
No M-47 tanks in Korea. The M-47 was a crash program to put a better turret on the M46 Patton tanks following obvious shortcommings found in the Korean conflict.  The M-47 was strictly post-war.

Korea was fought initially with WWII tanks, the M-4 Sherman and M-26 Pershing. Later the M-46 Patton (an improved M-26) came on the scene. They also used M-36 and M-18 Hellcat tank destroyers, and all the artillery pieces we’ve been discussing. For transport thay had most of the WWII trucks and tractors and a couple newer models.

Anything much beyond these is NOT “steam era”.

Dan Mitchell

On Oct 17, 2021, at 1:25 PM, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

Just remember that M-60 tanks and M-113 Armored Personnel Carriers are post steam era 1960's and later stuff. They don't belong on this steam era group.

Before the 1960's the US infantry traveled in 2-1/2 or 5 ton trucks or walked after Half Tracks were phased out. Korea was fought with trucks and M-46,M-47 tanks. WW2 era Jeeps were everywhere for officers and senior NCO's. Tracked vehicles were expensive to build and difficult maintain, they were for combat or combat training only. If a rubber tired vehicle was available the Army and Marines used it for everything else except parades.
--
Ken Adams (ex 3d Battalion 33rd Regiment 3rd Armored Division)