Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rapido X31a PRR boxcar - roof question

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Charlie;

It is almost impossible to get all cars delivered with no loss of stirrups or grabs.  Easy fix!

The model is beautiful!

As delivered and through much of service life, they were either Freight Car Color, or FCC over asphaltum.  Late in service life some got asphaltum to minimize roof leaks, but even the early 60’s rebuilts/repaints got FCC over top.

The FCC often wore off over time, and the paint on the roof got bled away, the asphaltum got more and more exposed, but with the general deterioration in the carbody, it was hard to tell, unless (like i), you crawled all over them, ruining your new jeans. 

If you are modeling cars that have considerable years on the P&L, you might weather like the attached.  Some of the old PRR guys really thought it was realistic.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Duckworth
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2021 3:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rapido X31a PRR boxcar - roof question

I picked up the Rapido PRR X31a this morning and noticed the stirrups were all loose. I glued these with some ACC glue.  One of the top grab irons was missing from the ladder to the roof walk and I assume this was also due to lack of glue. I’ll just make a replacement out of wire.   Nice model  

I’m certainly not a PRR expert but would these cars have gotten a black roof cement?  
--
Charlie Duckworth 
Omaha, Ne.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.