Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rapido X31a PRR boxcar - roof question

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Charlie;

It is almost impossible to get all cars delivered with no loss of stirrups or grabs.  Easy fix!

The model is beautiful!

As delivered and through much of service life, they were either Freight Car Color, or FCC over asphaltum.  Late in service life some got asphaltum to minimize roof leaks, but even the early 60’s rebuilts/repaints got FCC over top.

The FCC often wore off over time, and the paint on the roof got bled away, the asphaltum got more and more exposed, but with the general deterioration in the carbody, it was hard to tell, unless (like i), you crawled all over them, ruining your new jeans.

If you are modeling cars that have considerable years on the P&L, you might weather like the attached.  Some of the old PRR guys really thought it was realistic.

Elden Gatwood