Re: Late 40's to mid 50's military rail movements

Charles Happel

Tanks for the memories.

Chuck Happel

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Albert Einstein

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 10:17:55 AM EDT, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

Back home from my trip. Here are those M103s.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "BRIAN PAUL EHNI via groups.io" <bpehni@...>
Date: Monday, October 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Late 40's to mid 50's military rail movements

While in the future of this list, I photographed several M103s on flat cars in Anniston, GA during a Southern Steam Excursion from Columbus, GA in about 1975.

Thanks!

Brian Ehni

signature_1680424082

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "spsalso via groups.io" <Edwardsutorik@...>
Date: Monday, October 18, 2021 at 3:13 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

In 1949, the T43 heavy tank was approved for development.  It eventually became the M103 heavy tank, of which 300 were built.

They weighed about 65 tons.  One fits nicely on the 100 ton flats that are being discussed.

I am sure the Army included the possibility of having to transport heavy tanks like these when they commissioned the flat cars.

Ed

Edward Sutorik