Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Rapido X31a PRR boxcar - roof question

Todd Sullivan

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your note and the links to your blogs with examples of your techniques.  I will experiment with your techniques on that PRR X31, once I finish painting it (the roof and one side were all I got done).  I am saddened, too, by Testor's decimation of good modeling paint brands.  Krylon is available only in rattle cans, AFAIK.  I used it once decades ago for some project, and found it was OK but not superior, do I no longer use it.  The strong odor was one turn-off.

I've been focused on building a group of Proto87 Stores' Fast'n'Easy turnouts at a major junction on my layout.  They look great and can be made to operate well, but they take a while to build.  I have also been installing DCC sound decoders in some diesel switchers.  None has been easy (10 pounds in a 5 pound bag), so I'm a bit discouraged.  I think the solution is to remove the entire electronics package inside the body shell and rebuild the electronics with the decoder, keep alive and speaker.  The 'DCC ready' claims were probably made when all that people were doing was installing plain DCC decoders.

Well, thanks again for some interesting ideas.  When I finish the model, I  will post the result somewhere (Plastic Freight Cars list, probably).

Todd.

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 10:36:59 AM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Todd,

I tint my post-decal flat coat with the car color to reduce the lettering whiteness. I add a couple drop of the car color in the paint cup with Model Master clear flat acryl. Stir well and you can see the hazy flat turn into the hazy car color. This is now my first weathering step. Here are a few hoppers that have had the lettering faded.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2021/07/03/weathering-progress/

In many cases, the tinted flat coat is a more subtle change. There are before and after photos in this blog post.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2017/04/21/southern-pacific-a-50-5-automobile-box-car/

Sadly, in April 2020 parent company Testors announced the Model Master paint line will be discontinued. If there are specific MM colors or products you like to use, stock up while you can.

I have a bottle of Vallejo Matt Varnish on hand to try soon. Others have used Krylon products for the flat coat, but I think those are only available in rattle cans.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN