Re: Reading White Decals printed on pale blue backing.paper

Tim O'Connor

As a 1960's modeler I need many 1950's decals, but the sets almost -never- have reweigh dates or shop stencils
later than 1960, and they also almost -never- have any revised GRL numbers (in 1963 the GRL's were increased
for "40" "50" "70" and "100" ton cars). Extremely frustrating. 🙁

Tim O'Connor

On 10/27/2021 7:36 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
I really love the decals from Speedwitch and now Nationak Scale Car for the completeness of the sets.  I too, however, have a problem reading the decal lettering  on the smaller script.  I have also found this to be a rwo headed sword.  I had a devil of a time lettering a NYC car.  Seeing the lettering was solved with a very inexpensive and brighgoose neck lamp from a drug store.  The problem then became trimming the decals.  The set contained probably every lot number that went above thr NYC oval heralds.  They were printed very close together.  I went through two sets of decalsc on this.  First the proper lot was identified using the lamp. I finally used a magic marker to locate the lot that I wanted making an adjacent mark.  I cut out an area larger than the lot and then worked my way down.

Bill Pardie
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*