Re: Help with MEC boxcar color

Marty McGuirk

According to “”Northern New England Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment” (Sweetland/Horsley) “Late in 1953 MEC changed from “boxcar red” to green for its boxcars.” There’s a photo in the book of 50-foot boxcar 9006 in New Haven, Conn. in obviously new paint dated April 1954. From what I can tell if modeling fall of 1953 you can include a very newly painted - shiny(!) - car - but obviously the vast majority of MEC boxcars would still have been BCR!
I used the Speedwitch decals that came in the kit for the BCR scheme.

Marty

On Oct 29, 2021, at 3:19 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

By the way I think the green came in in 1953, but I’ve read where it was 55 so not sure if you know let me know. I too will do the brown scheme for my layout since my time ends in fall of 53 so I can run FM H-16-44’s. But I really like the green
Just say’in
Who’s decals did you use for the brown scheme?
Fenton

On Oct 29, 2021, at 3:16 PM, O Fenton Wells via groups.io <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Thanks Marty, that’s exactly what I was looking for
Much appreciated
Fenton

On Oct 29, 2021, at 3:07 PM, Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Fenton,

I just finished up a Speedwitch kit for the MEC version of the 1923 ARA boxcar. Ted provided decals for the BCR and green versions of this car and in the kit instructions he recommended (and used) White Ensign Models “Dull Dark Green” (https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/Colourcoats+Dull+Dark+Green+ACUS24/25650/#.YXxDkBDMJR4) for the body color for the green mid 1950s repaints.

I’ve seen Ted’s model and the color certainly looked right to my eyes. I painted my car in the BCR scheme since the green is too late for my era so I can’t offer share a photo of a green model.

I have used White Ensign paint in the past and don’t remember anything particularly memorable (ie “bad”) about it!

Hope this helps,

Marty

On Oct 26, 2021, at 1:20 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a MEC 1923 ARA (X29) car in the green with yellow logo.  I know TCP makes a green color but I read an article about a better green paint that wsn't a railroad color in a magazine article.  Of course I cannot find the article as my filing system is just too secure.  I should have worked for NSA.
Can anyone help or give a suggestion to a laquer base dark green for this project.
Thanking all in advance
Fenton