Re: Help with MEC boxcar color

Tim O'Connor

The very first green MEC box car was painted in November 1953.

I like this shot because it shows a faded (bluer, not lighter) green box car with a freshly painted car.

On 10/29/2021 4:00 PM, Marty McGuirk wrote:
According to “”Northern New England Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment” (Sweetland/Horsley) “Late in 1953 MEC changed from “boxcar red” to green for its boxcars.” There’s a photo in the book of 50-foot boxcar 9006 in New Haven, Conn. in obviously new paint dated April 1954. From what I can tell if modeling fall of 1953 you can include a very newly painted - shiny(!) - car - but obviously the vast majority of MEC boxcars would still have been BCR!
I used the Speedwitch decals that came in the kit for the BCR scheme.

Marty
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*