Re: CB&Q Hoppers from Athearn Two-Bay Ribbed Hopper

Rich C

I definitely would be interested.

Rich Christie

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 09:25:15 AM CDT, William Hirt <whirt@...> wrote:

Considering all other CB&Q cars built during this period were Mineral Red (some say Boxcar Red), I've always assumed that is their original paint and any repaints until 1958. Chinese Red painted cars started in 1958 and any series of black painted hoppers were after the ending time of this list.

Here is the one of the Burlington Route Historical Society model pages. You can evaluate the paint yourself. The composite gondolas would be contemporaries of the first steel hoppers:

http://www.burlingtonroute.org/Qrailroad/modeling/HO_kits.php#Open%20Hoppers

Bill Hirt

On 11/4/2021 8:46 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi John and List Members,

I have an interest in these cars myself.

One unanswered question for me is that the series CB&Q 190000-190999 twin hoppers (ACF Lot 232) appears to have been built in 1926. What color would they have been painted when new? Freight car red? Black? Something else? I have a builders photo image, but I can't tell what color it may have been...

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic

Claus Schlund