Re: Catalytic refining: was UTLX 10,000 gallon X-3 tankcar

Tim O'Connor

Part of the reason may be that catalysts were discovered in fossil beds in the northeastern
US including New Jersey. I learned about that years ago reading one of John McPhee's books
on geology.

On 11/9/2021 11:03 PM, Jim Mischke wrote:
Thank you for your observation.

While researching B&O oil traffic, I become familiar with pretroleum technology as found in the oil trade press.   The Standard Oil refinery near Philadelphia is credited as an innovator and early adopter of catalytic cracking.   That the technology flow might be earlier and the story more complicated comes as no surprise.
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*