Re: Buffalo Creek boxes to Canada?

Tim O'Connor

They were all stenciled return empty to Buffalo. But so what? Under AAR rules they would
be treated like other XM box cars. There's nothing in the ORER that indicates the cars enjoyed
some special exemption from the usual rules. Of course if the alternative is to return a car a long
distance as an empty, there's an incentive to find a load for it in the general direction of its home
road - but that incentive would apply to anyone's car in that situation.

There must be more to the story though. Buffalo Creek began buying new box cars over a short
period of time in the 1950's - from having no cars at all, to having almost 2,000! What happened
that led this small terminal railroad to do that?

Tim O'Connor

On 11/10/2021 6:19 PM, Brian Carlson via groups.io wrote:
Except many were stenciled for flour service only and return to Buffalo. We’re they used for other cargo’s, yes. Car service rule zero, protect the shipper.

Also, what’s forgotten is these cars and their DL&W and LV cousins did go out west often due to integrated vertical manufacturing processes. Lots of flour milled in Buffalo was sent for further processing/use along. I have lists of photos in Texas at a sunshine bakery.

I have a lot of data on flour/grain moves in and out of Buffalo but haven’t figured out a good way to present it that would be interesting.

Brian J. Carlson

On Nov 10, 2021, at 5:28 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

AHEM. The Buffalo Creek box cars were XM. They could be loaded by ANY railroad in Michigan,
Indiana, Ohio, Eastern Canada, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware. Pennsylvania, New Jersey,
New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, or Rhode Island with any
XM type of cargo and from there be sent to ANY destination in North America - under standard AAR
car loading rules.

Where is Tim Gilbert when we need him?? Weren't you guys paying attention during the YEARS of
discussions we had about car loading rules and why everyone's box cars went practically everywhere?

More generally, BCK box cars were a small percentage of the North American box car fleet, so they
were most likely infrequent visitors to western Canada or California or Texas - But they undoubtedly
did end up in those places sometimes.

Here is a ~1960 photo of BCK 2997 in Oakland, California.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/9/2021 10:56 PM, Jim Mischke wrote:

Bud and friend:

The Buffalo mills produced a variety of proprietary flours, mixes and feeds.   For a western Canadian customer, a Buffalo Creek boxcar will do.

Insulated boxcars protect ladings from temperature extremes.   Many are cold but few are frozen.   Jars and canned goods cannot be allowed to freeze, so that might be a lading for an insulated boxcar..  If western Canadian grocers want Mott's apple sauce from New York, an NYRB boxcar will do.

Canada has always been largely self-sufficient with pre-NAFTA tariff barriers to maintain it that way.  Yet there are many occasions when only an American product will suffice and distinctive US railroad cars make their way north.

Sterling, Massachusetts
<bck_2997 40ft_SD_box ACF-1956 shopdate 3-60 OaklandCA circa 1960.jpg>

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Sterling, Massachusetts