From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 4:50 PM
To: PRR@PRR.groups.io
Cc: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] [EXT] Rapido X31A boxcars, questions.

Dan, All interested;

To add to what Bruce supplied:

First:  The attached should help.  First, you need at least seven guys to do the construction😊

Second photo:  Triple valve location on relocated/longitudinal reservoir cars.  Note Z bar stringers;

Third:  Compare to Rapido car transverse reservoir;

Four:  1951 rebuild diagram without replacement of single stringers or end diagonals; longitudinal reservoir;

Five:  Mounting for brake cylinder.  Note the lever diagram!  Nice detail!

Six:  Center sill for locations/spacing.

BTW:  IF YOU BUY LOTS OF THESE EARLY X31A’s, Rapido would most certainly consider doing the later cars

Lastly;

Rapido knows the following, but if you want to do the later X31A’s now, and other X31’s, the following should help.  Note the shift from transverse to longitudinal:

1

X31

Bowser double door; some used Universal and Equipco brakes

6

(+1)

X31A

67561

67758

68047

68143

68283

68377

68408

70094

76447

76642

76758

76777

76803

77061

77634

77758

77991

78417

78433

78477

78496

78913

79612

80239

80330

80378

81151

G Elwood

rsa

Burg

E9736-38

Vol 1 p.78

Bob

Dunn-Burg

Vol 2 p.40

Burg

Dunn-Burg

Vol 1 p.77

Vol 2 p.40

Vol 2 p.40

Vol 1 p.77

Vol 2 p.40

Bob

Vol 2 p.40

Dunn-Burg

AGaines

Dunn-Burg

Vol 3 p.54

Bob

Bob

JSands

Kuelbs?

Dunn-Burg

Dunn-Burg

Hagley

SK sans serif; transverse reservoir; 2D-F8

CK; Equipco brakes

CK; trans res; 2D-F12; no patch; early Equipco; jog grab; 4/34

PK; coal tar car

SK; calendar; ptd 4/54 trans res; 11/54

PK; 9/61; transverse brake res.

SK sans serif; Ajax brakes

PK; 9/61; transverse brake reservoir.

PK; 11/61; longitudinal reservoir.

SK serif; P57-11-54; c.’55

SK serif

SK serif; Universal brakes

PK; p-62-6-61

SK sans serif

CK; 2D-F12; 12/54

SK serif

SK; 2/60 repaint in serif; longitudinal reservoir.

None; Equipco

SK; 3/60 repaint in serif

CK;

SK; serif; ptd 6/55; 4/57

PK; ptd 1/66; patch; 7/68

SK sans serif; patch; long res; 1966

PK; 9/61 rebld; straight grab; Ajax?

SK; 2/60 repaint in serif; longitudinal reservoir.

SK; 4/60 repaint in serif; early Equipco; long. Res.

B end; Ajax brake

Bowser double door and single door cars; West Shore Line (NLA); Sunshine (NLA)

X31A early X31F brake arrangement (B end to right)

Late X31A (and etc) brake arrangement (B end to right)

1

X31B

Bowser; some used Universal and Equipco brakes

X31B-C brake arrangement (B end to right)

1

X31C

62805

63130

63274

unk

Bob

Vol 1 p.78

CK; auto ldr; 2D-F12; new

CK; ? brake; 2D-F12; 11/55

SK

Bowser bash; some used Universal and Equipco brakes

X31D

57700?

577034

Unk

unk

CK; auto; DD; trans res; 2D-F12; lift-off roof rings; 3/36

CK; auto; DD; roof off; mid-Equipco

NA; Bowser

1

X31F

81200

81312

81861

Lane

Bob

amh

Model

CK; trans res; blt 3/34; 2D-F12; mis-stencilled as X31B

SK; serif; trans res; ? brake; >1/57

SK serif PRR; trans res; hi rf; blt 6/34, >12/59

SK

Bowser; Sunshine

If you really bug me, I can try to find my interior, no flooring shots….

Elden Gatwood

From: Dan Smith <espeefan@...>
Date: Thursday, November 11, 2021 at 9:21 AM
To: "Bruce F. Smith" <
smithbf@...>, "Gatwood, Elden J CIV CESAW CESAD (USA)" <elden.j.gatwood@...>
Subject: [EXT] Rapido X31A boxcars, questions.

Hello Bruce and Elden,

The new Rapido X3A boxcars have been arriving and my 6 kits and 1 built up arrived a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted to see if I can ask a few questions about the new kits and you're the ones that I know of that are the most knowledgeable about PRR.

I wanted to build variations of the cars with both transverse and longitudinal brake air tanks in both single and double door versions.  Are the cross ties always in the same location across the X31 classes? Is it simply rearranging brake components for the different variations?

Are there any differences in side sheathing patterns between the various classes, X31, X31A, X31B ? All single door patterns the same ? Double door patterns the same ?

It looks like the Bowser X31 flush roof can be put on the Rapido body. How is the Bowser flush roof? Are the running board lateral insets in the right location? Over all, the dimensions are the same and I have already swapped a Bowser roof onto a DD kit. Looks pretty good and will need just a bit of sanding and blending at the joint on the ends to be done. I notice a small difference in the location of the running board laterals here. The Rapido laterals are slightly outboard of thr Bowser roof insets. Bowser running board fits well, of coarse .I actually like the look of the Bowser running boards better than the Rapido ones.

Some observations; Some ladders in the kits have broken rungs inside the package. Maybe not a problem as I'm thinking of making up Yarmouth ladders with soldered .008 rungs. Are Kadee bracket grabs correct for the X31's? With the narrower end ladders of the X31B's, is there any change in location of the brake step?

Doing some basic set up when starting on the under frame, it was riding to high, by about .020. That's when I noticed that the trucks have an oddball mount. What were they thinking of? Or am I missing something. A lot of work to lower the car for the correct ride height. The truck swing limiter is useless, the coupler pockets stop the swing before the limit is reached! Goofy. Checked all my other Rapido cars and they all have a more conventional truck mounting. Way different on the X31As. Buying these trucks separately to put under other cars would be a chore.

Also looks like the Bowser X31F roof could be swapped. Basically all 40' versions could be built with the new Rapido car and appropriate Bowser parts. Correct?

Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Smith