Re: MILW Gondola Painting

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Brian. That was my original intention, but I got ahead of myself and painted the whole car MILW freight car red. That makes masking to do the wood more difficult, as the drop doors are steel and presumably painted with some paint residual evident in service. It looks like I’ll have to mask and make the best of it. It would have been much easier to do the wood first, then mask and do the steel.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 4:35 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] MILW Gondola Painting

Nelson,
I would certainly assume they were painted initially, repaints probably not. The Milw gons were used primarily for hauling coal and cinders and the abrasive and caustic nature of those materials would scrub the paint off in short order, so unless you’re modeling a newish car, I’d stick with well weathered wood.
Brian