Re: a number of freight cars in this 1947 view taken on the Alton

John Barry

While just beyond my 1944 modelling era, the line of condemned Alton 17xxx steel underframe DS boxes is relevant for me as the 17000-17998 40' IL , 8' IH 2730 CUFT boxes wer just over half of the Alton's 1943 box car fleet.  Thanks to Eric Hansmann's blog with its pointer to Ray Breyer's profile on the mid 20's Alton fleet I now know that they were rebuilt B-50-2 Harriman standard cars.  The catch is that Ray's profile only shows rebuilds with corrugated Murphy ends while the condemned cars on the deadline clearly show 3-4 indented dreadnaught ends.  Were at least some of these cars rebuilt later with the DN ends, and is there a source of the 8' inverted DN end?  I can use one of the Westerfield kits for the body and underframe, but the ends?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 05:11:26 PM EST, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

We see a number of freight cars in this 1947 view taken on the Alton.

CMO 40ft ss boxcar
Several ALTON 40ft ds boxcars that might be stencilled CONDEMNED
Tank car KINX 104 (8000 gal nominal capacity)

Native resolution image can be seen at the link below

Metadata at the link below

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund