Re: Red Caboose GATX "Flying A" Tank Car

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Ed Bommer wrote:

Unsaid here, "Flying A" was a trademark for Tydol, the Tidewater Oil Company for its gasoline.
"Veedol" was the  trademark name for its motor oil.
As a teen I worked at a Tydol station on Staten Island.
The Tidewater Oil Co's. NY area refinery was near Bayonne N J at the ttime.
In the past, I think Tidewater Oil also had its own reporting mark and tank cars.
Much changed with Tidwater Oil after Getty bought the company and renamed it "Getty Oil."
The "Flying A" logo may have still been in use after that.

Part of this is incorrect, and some garbled. Please consult a researched blog post (of mine):

Tony Thompson