Re: A Simple Question On Cattle Guards

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bill,

I'm working from memory, as well, but I recall that the metal portion of the cattle guard was typically a dirt or rusty color (rust + local dirt color) with the tops of the rails or bars burnished steel color from vehicles going over them.  The triangular side parts are typically wooden, and could be any appropriate color - white to weathered gray.  Those triangular parts tied into the fence lines on either side of the cattle guard.

Todd Sullivan
who lives in far north Dallas and has wandered around rural Texas and Central Oregon in the past