From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Wallace Steinbrecher
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 5:46 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] A Simple Question On Cattle Guards

Bill,

Spent 30 years of my career in West Texas…can’t recall ever seeing a painted cattle guard.  The metal ones were a uniform dark rust color and the ones with wooden side “wings” were weathered to a light gray color with splotches of black creosote.  Used RR ties were a popular feature for the posts.

Regards,

Wallace Steinbrecher

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

While growing up in Texas I encountered numerous cattle guards which I never really paid attention to.  Recently while picking up a Kadee order I added one of their cattle guards feeling that it would be a nice detail item.  This morning while painting the floors of several projects I decided to apply some wood color to the cattle guard.

I am thinking that the wood wings of the cattle guard are anywhere from bare/weathered wood to whitewash.  The grate bring unfinished or black metal.  I find it better to ask up front before being exposed as laughtin stock.

Any former cowboys out there who can verify this?

Thanks:

Bill Pardie