Re: "Roof Ribs" (was Murphy Radial Roof?)

Steve and Barb Hile

Ribs for stiffening within the roof panels would be an OK term.  Then there are seam caps over the roof panel seams.  I think car lines are generally below the roof proper, supporting it.


My 2 cents.


Steve Hile


From: [] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] "Roof Ribs" (was Murphy Radial Roof?)


I think I’ve seen seam cap and car lines used here. 



Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

On Dec 23, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:

Thanks to all who responded on- and off-line re radial roofs, both Murphy and Hutchins. For my purposes, I think I'll go with a cut-down Roundhouse 50-foot SS boxcar Murphy roof.


I was fully expecting to be thrown into terminology jail for my use of the word "ribs" on the roof. (Can anyone else remember adding stamped "roof ribs" to the wood roof in a Silver Streak kit?) For next time -- what is the correct prototype terminology for a "roof rib"?



Bob Chapman 

Join to automatically receive all group messages.