Re: Is the second car in this train one of the Reading Hersey Coca Bean Cars?

Tim O'Connor

That is interesting about the car type TG. Did that precede the type XT?

Tim

On 1/4/2022 3:34 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 11:08 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
To me the original scan looks like a refrigerator car at such poor photographic resolution that the door disappears.
The Soo Line had for or five flatcars that they leased to the Chippewa Springs Corp. of Chippewa Falls, Wisc., installing glass lined tanks and building a wood reefer-like body over them, thereby converting them to ARA type TG cars, between 1914 and 1928. The cars lasted until 1943. There are not a lot of photos of these cars; one shows a standard reefer door, one shows two small doors maybe 2' x 2' low on the car side, and one shows no door at all, leading me to believe that at least one car only had a door or doors on one side. I have no idea where Chippewa Spring water was shipped, but it's possible they made trips on the NP..

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts