Re: Shell tankcar for my Quincy-model-RR

Steve and Barb Hile

Fred,

These cars appear to be 10,000 gallon cars built by Standard Tank Car Company as witnessed by the heavy combination bolster and tank saddle and the safety valves placed opposite one another on the centerline of the tank dome top.

There is a similar car at the Western Railway Museum.  See

SCCX 662 - Western Railway Museum (wrm.org)

They may well have been hauling refined petroleum products.

Southern Car and Foundry makes some 8000 gallon STCCo tank cars, so it might be possible to combine than underframe with a 10K Intermountain tank to produce a reasonable model of one of these cars.

It is reasonably likely that the Standard jobber would receive products in UTLX tank cars, like the future Rapido model.

Steve Hile