Re: Finish issues

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 07:14 AM, John Sykes III wrote:
Doesn't happen with Scalecoat I/II and Testors Dullcoat.
Actually, it does. It is a well known fact that a wash of methyl alcohol over fully dry Dullcote will turn it milky white, in fact, a modern era modeler, Mike Rose, has done several articles on using this as a weathering technique to get a badly faded paint effect. I found this out myself years ago when I used a wash of black shoe dye and methyl alcohol over some styrene models of concrete bridge abutments to bring out the scribed form board detail, but didn't like the effect and didn't see any use for it on steam era equipment.

What I think happened to Eric's model has to do with the high humidity not allowing the Microsol trapper under the decal film dry completely, and migrate out into the flat finish top coat. Some time in a slightly warm oven likely would have prevented it, but the operative words here are SLIGHTLY WARM, lest the resin deform.

Dennis Storzek