Re: Finish issues

Eric Hansmann

Those are very good points, Doug. It all hits home when we step out for a morning dog walk and can smell the landfill five miles away. Thankfully that only happens a couple times a month when the wind is blowing from a different direction. 

But, I build and decal the models at my workbench in an indoor room. I only paint them at the spray booth in the garage. I keep the modes inside until they need to be painted, and they come back inside to dry. 

This has also only happened with these two models. Other recent models built and finished last year have been fine. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 24, 2022, at 9:30 PM, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Question? What if it’s a chemical reaction, but not with the things you are using or your process? You say you are painting in an open garage. So anything in the air could be settling on your models at any time during the painting/decaling process. We have humidity issues in Iowa certain times of the year, reason I run a dehumidifier and the AC all summer, no open windows, and vent my paint booth outside. We also have something called “chemical drift” which can occur every time a farmer or neighbor is spraying chemicals on their fields, flowers or trees. Esp prevalent on windy days. Farmers have been sued because of ‘drift”. Crop dusting with airplanes is the worse. We also have problems in some cities with major industries that spue lots of toxic pollutants in the air. Even coal ash or corn chaff can be a problem.

I have a table saw and others tools that are partially covered with a thick rust coating after sitting in a garage in rural Iowa. Not everything in the garage was rusting, just things sitting in a certain corner. Figured some sort of a spray or chemical drifted in and settled things that were not covered.

So is it possible something in the outside has settled on your model at some step through the paint/decal cycles?

You are doing everything to control the process, except controlling the air in which you are working. You wash the model, you wear gloves to avoid skin oils, you use distilled water for decals. You are controlling everything to avoid contaminants, except the air.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 3:52 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Finish issues

Thanks for the ideas, Mike. I’m not certain how many days the decals dried before the gloss coat was applied. From my photo documentation, the models were painted December 5th. The decals were completed December 14th and the flat coat was applied December 21st. I usually wait a day or so before spraying the gloss coat after the initial car coat is applied. I also wait at least a day after the decal work is done.

I do not recall seeing any issues after the gloss coat had dried.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Clements via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 3:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Finish issues

Future will cloud up like that when it gets Micro Sol or Solvaset on it for a while Nelson. It usually (always?) goes away when it dries, even the areas under decals. How long did the Future dry before you put decals on Eric? It is almost like the Micro Set drove the moisture content of the Future up and then the flat coat put those areas over the top and dried from the outside in trapping the moisture. I'm trying to figure this out so I can avoid the same thing!

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.