Re: Finish issues

John Sykes III

Caveat - Lacquers and water don't mix!!!

Anyone who works with furniture knows that blushing and water rings are two problems that come up with lacquer finishes.  Since Testor's Glosscoat and Dullcoat are both lacquers, they must be used in dry environments.  I also like it warm.  Mid-80's with <50% humidity is what I prefer when shooting lacquers (also goes for Scalecoat I, which is a lacquer).  Oven drying usually prevents the problem, but remember, styrene turns to goop at 212 decrees F!  I think this is true for most casting resins, too.  I usually only use the oven for brass or white metal models painted with Scalecoat I.  I set the oven for as low as it will go, then turn it off before putting the model in.  The resulting finish is hard, glossy and usually perfect for decaling.  Also, most decal films are lacquer-based or clear coated with a lacquer (I clear coat all my decals before using to prevent cracking).  White vinegar is used to treat water rings on furniture, because the acid softens the lacquer.  MicroSet is, essentially, white vinegar (but a little stronger).  MicroSol, with butyl cellosolve, is more aggressive, because the solvent in it also softens the underlying paint, fusing the decal and paint together (with a solvent based paint that is, this usually eliminates any edge problems).  Paint stores supplying professional cabinet & furniture makers carry butyl cellosolve, because it is used to slow drying times of lacquers, helping to get a high gloss finish on cabinets/furniture.