Re: Removing lettering from Branchline cars?

Craig Wilson

Here is a technique that I have used:  a hand cleaner that contains pumice (brand name "GoJo").  A small amount is applied using a cotton-tip swab - like a Q-tip although I avoid the ones with a flexible plastic "handle."  I have found swabs with wooden shafts in the paint section of a hardware store and they work much better.

Apply the GoJo and GENTLY scrub using the swab.  If the underlying paint starts to be removed it will show up on the cotton swab.  I keep a dish of distilled water handy to rinse off the cleaning solution.  Sometimes it takes repeated applications to remove the lettering satisfactorily.  In some cases I have used this technique first then applied a wash of Solvaset scrubbing it with a fresh swab and/or stiff paint brush.  If the lettering doesn't come off after a few minutes of GENTLE scrubbing, it is time to try something else.

Craig Wilson