Re: Finish issues

O Fenton Wells

Yes my folks moved to lakeland in '61 and the water stunk.  I left and moved back in 1972 to Winter Haven a few miles away wasn't as bad. Lakeland is OK now but there were palaces in that state that the water was really stinky.  On fishing trips to some of the more desolate places we drank a lot of beer, we brushed our teeth with it as well.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 3:16 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Fenton, you reminded me of the sulfur water in Callahan, FL. We moved from Jacksonville to Callahan when I was in the first grade, and I had to put a clothes pin on my nose to take a bath. I couldn’t drink it out of the tap, but it was tolerable when cold, so I kept a quart jar of water in the refrigerator for drinking. We lived there three years, and I gradually got used to it, but it was never pleasant.

Callahan was a good railroad town, with a crossing and tower, small yard, etc. about four blocks from my house. A friend’s dad was one of the tower operators, and I got to go up into the tower to watch him line tracks and interlocking. It was mostly steam in 1949-50, and locomotives and freight cars looked entirely different from the tower. I must admit getting totally bored between trains, and I decided I wanted a career with a little more involvement. I don’t remember the railroads, probably Seaboard, maybe Southern or FEC. Another friend’s dad worked the FGE icing platform outside Jacksonville. He was the biggest, strongest man I had ever seen.

Thanks for the memories, well, some of them.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 12:27 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Finish issues

I use distilled water and no detergent. I started using distilled water while living in FL.  Water wasn't good back then, in some towns it smelled like sulfur.  Not any more.I still use distilled water.

Fenton.  

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.