Re: Rail transport of ice (Was: Mobile Icing .....)

Craig Wilson

There were many "ice service" refrigerator cars.  I have seen pictures of ART. FGE and PFE cars lettered for this service.  Intermountain produced a model (47739) for a wood FGE car.  I was introduced to this when Mark Vaughan included "ART ICE SERVICE ONLY" lettering on one of his Wabash combination decal sets.  I was told that the (steel) ART cars delivered ice to Wabash (and subsidiary Ann Arbor RR too) company facilities such as depots, freight houses, shops and anywhere else where ice was needed.  I always thought that would make an interesting operation to include on a layout . . .

Craig Wilson