Re: L&N Tool and Water Car

Tim O'Connor

Here is an interesting Northern Pacific water car.

On 3/12/2022 2:14 PM, Lloyd Keyser wrote:
Milwaukee had some. Lloyd Keyser

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 1:06 PM Bob Chapman <chapbob4014@...> wrote:
With the layout here suffering a severe case of "boxcaritis," I've been trying to shift my modeling to some other car types. The L&N tool and water car project moves me halfway, involving but half a DS boxcar.

These cars were very common in L&N B&B consists circa 1950, providing potable water for washing, cooking, and drinking. Built on an as-needed basis over several decades by various company carshops, they were repurposed from whatever happened to be available, with no standard design. Some were created from boxcars, with half the carbody serving as a tool shed and the other half cut away to provide floorspace for a wooden cistern. Others were flatcars or wood-sided gondolas, the deck providing room for one or sometimes twin cisterns. It seemed that no two were alike.  With the retirement of steam, many were replaced with more durable surplus steam tenders.

The model is scratchbuilt, based on plans (amazingly) in the 6/86 RMC.

A question -- did other roads have water cars with similar vertical wooden cisterns, or was this just an L&N thing?

Regards,
Bob Chapman

Sterling, Massachusetts