Re: scanners to measure colour

Stafford Swain <sswain@...>

An interesting series of questions. When the CNR color study got done in the early 1990s we never found anything truly useful in this area (for example the Pantone Guide that I bought for $75 wasn't close to precise enough).

Therefore the fall-back was taking the official paint sample chip to the paint store for its computer-mix (sometimes several times) and then having some good quality eyeballs belonging to several different bi-peds checking the result under good outdoor light.

The quarts of paint that represented the outcome have been used to make many samples on masonite (that have been well-distributed) and still are essentially full.

A group of CPR SIG types are developing a project to identify CPR paint
colours, including freight car colours. It occured to me that by scanning a
painted object or chip, we would be able to obtain a lot of standardized
information, including hue, saturation, luminosity, and red, green blue
numbers.

Is there a flaw to this - in other words, will the scanner fail to act in a
standardized way when it makes the image? I was guessing that it would be
similar to the matching machine in the paint store, but without the ability
to provide arecipe for the right paint formula. I'd appreciate comments and
information from anyone knowledgable on the subject.

By the way, if anyone on the list has any resource material applicable to
CPR colours, we would appreciate hearing about it - maybe we could either
borrow it, have it matched to a standardized colour chip (Pantone or FS595b)
or have it scanned at a paint store.

Rob Kirkham
--
Stafford Swain