Re: B&O M-59 Ends.

Tim O'Connor

I don't think there is a "proper name" but there is nomenclature we use - this is a 4/4 IDE (improved dreadnaught end)
usually made by Standard Railway Equipment (SRE). And the shape of the ribs resembles a "rolling pin" so you'll often
see that term used as well.

Tim O'Connor

On 3/16/2022 2:21 AM, Philip Dove wrote:
I would go with the right hand end. I would call the ribs rolling pin taper. Proper name l leave to the experts

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022, 06:05 Bruce Griffin, <bdg1210@...> wrote:


Sorry for two questions in one night. I am working on a model of a B&O M-59 DD 40’ boxcar. I am bad with the nomenclature for ends and identifying them. Attached is a builder’s photo (I have higher res, if needed) and two choices for ends. Based on the photo, which is correct? 

And could someone offer the “names” for the two ends?  

Thank you for your assistance. 

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD



Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join to automatically receive all group messages.