Re: Reading Boxcar 18729

Drew M.

Eric is correct, the XAra class was created from RDG XMs cars 5000-5999 built for the P&R while under USEA control in 1919.

Drew Marshall in South Philly

On Mar 24, 2022, at 14:56, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

There’s an informative data sheet on this XAra class on the Reading Modeler site. Click on XAra for the PDF.

http://www.readingmodeler.info/index.php/component/content/article/99-rolling-stock-reference-files/freight/214-reading-company-boxcars

These were the product of a rebuild program. I think these were originally USRA single-sheathed boxcars rebuilt in 1935 for auto service. From the data sheet it seems the Reading rebuilt 100 additional cars to XAra class in 1943.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN