Re: Gon interior pt 1

Mark Vinski

When brakemen had to ride the cars to apply the brakes I imagine they had to walk through gondolas.

I used to heat my home with a wood stove that burned scrap 4x4's from gondolas. I've been in and out of hundreds of them, a few of which had floors as bad or worse than the picture. The ribs in the car end can be used as steps to climb out. Some cars with a flat plate on the interior of the ends have rectangular holes cut in the plate to serve as steps.

There was a derailment near Pittsburgh caused by a piece of scrap metal that fell through a defective floor and prevented the truck from turning on a curve.

Rules now prohibit trainmen from riding inside loaded gons due to the shifting hazard..

Mark Vinski