Re: [URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Gon interior pt 1

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Jim;

It was far more than I certainly thought!

I think there was reluctance to (immediately) send the cars to a RIP track, because the guys who rounded up the gons were hoping they’d be accepted.  A load of structural steel did not necessarily need a tight floor.

You are right:  lawsuit-ready.

There were RIP tracks, and then there were RIP tracks.  I never saw 2 the same.

I suspect some of these pics were for documentation of damage to be submitted to the shipper.  Some were evidence for rebuilds.  Some are definitely wreck or shifter load pics.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of np328
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2022 7:45 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [URL Verdict: Neutral][Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Gon interior pt 1

I think I have off handedly commented when talking about open-top load cars - like gons. 
     My modeled railroad - regarding drop bottom gons, had some extended correspondence about the damage to the drop bottom doors done by the
teeth of clam shell buckets being used to unload coal and other commodities. The teeth would grab at the protruding corners of the doors and buckle them,
and damage in other ways so as to render the doors no longer useable. Corrugated doors were noted to promote the teeth to slide over them and sustain less damage. 
    In the summer when gondola cars were in commercial usage, my railroad tried laying heavy timbers on the floor, IIRC, 6 x 12 inch timbers laid flat, as sacrificial flooring. 
Equipping a good number of cars and the tight fisted and frugal nature in spending of my railroad, the benefits must have out weighed the cost. Part of the above conversation I found. 
Gons were typically loaded over the trucks so to see boards missing there, could have well been done by clamshell bucket teeth after being dropped into the car. 

I think damage like this is more common than thought. 

Elden, why would this car not be sent to the nearest RIP track?
Should a brakeman or some other person be walking through the car at night, for any reason, and injure themself, it would be a slam dunk lawsuit. And something car inspectors would call out the moment they saw it. Having paged through more than a few railroad investigations, I could see folks who would have had their career ended had they noted this car, someone got injured and they not flagged it.   
      Given the building to the left looking like a railroad structure, might this be a RIP track photo documenting in preparation for a invoice to be sent out.    
                                                                                                                                                                                           James Dick - Roseville, MN 

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.