Re: Green Marked Coal

Charles Peck

"Wonder why it was sprayed?  If for any other reason than what Philip mentioned. "
Back when many homes were heated with coal, coal was a consumer commodity. This was advertising.
They used claims like Cleaner Burning or Less Ash. Local home delivery coal yards could post 'We have Blue Diamond Coal"
and charge a premium price for it.  Coal sold to a railroad or a power plant was only set by price. Household consumer coal
was different.  Getting noticed, having a "Brand" meant getting more money.
Chuck Peck

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 10:07 AM Robert G P <bobgp5109@...> wrote:
Wonder why it was sprayed?  If for any other reason than what Philip mentioned.

-Bob

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:28 AM Philip Dove <philipdove22@...> wrote:
Perhaps slightly off topic but in some place if coal was to be stored undisturbed for a longer period owners sometimes whitewashed or painted the top of the heap so any theft was more noticeable because it left a black patch on the white surface.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022, 23:52 ed_mines via groups.io, <ed_mines=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don't know anything about green coal but there was blue anthracite coal.

I believe the coal was sprayed while it was in hoppers so only the top layer of coal would be covered.
There were little cardboard circles mixed in with blue coal proclaiming it was blue brand coal.

Attachments: