Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 10:18 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi Phillip,

Insulating layer - good possibility.

You also wrote: "On the other hand whoever heard of a steam locomotive with a lagged tender tank?". Good question - could the water in the tender freeze? Why not? Perhaps there is a way to inject steam into the tender cistern to keep the water from freezing if a locomotive is out in extreme cold for extended periods of time? Just a guess on my part!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2022 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hinckley & Schmitt water car

I think we are looking at an insulating layer if you enlarge the picture you can see lots of vertical lines that might be a wrapping of insulation. Insulating a water car that might freeze would seem logical as expanding ice could burst the tank. On the other hand whoever heard of a steam locomotive with a lagged tender tank?.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022, 20:08 ron christensen via groups.io, <rxensen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I found this picture in a group of unsorted pictures.
 I did not take the picture, probably bought it.
It was with a group of Iowa pictures. There wasn't anything written on the back.
HSTX 1008
Ron Christensen